Friday, May 06, 2005

Stormy Haircut

I can't believe I actually bothered to take the 12nn lunch bus to Simei and then take the MRT down to Tampines, just to get my hair cut at Century Square's Storm Hair. When the hairstylist asked if I wanted to colour my hair, I was so tempted to say yes but then I was pressed for time lah.

Initially I wanted to tell the hairstylist to just do what he thinks is right to my hair, as long as he doesn't try to use chemicals on it other than shampoo and conditioner (Hey! I still need to rush back to office for work, okay!) but he didn't look very friendly so I just shut up and told him I wish to thin my hair and to make the layers more obvious.

Snip, snip, snip and voila!


I tried to squeeze a smile out of myself but decided not to because it will cause my eyebags to show. Booooooo....

I was done in 30 minutes. Cut, wash and blow.

The next time I visit a salon, I will get my hair coloured properly, highlighted and maybe do a soft rebonding. My hair can get quite naughty at times especially when it's neither long nor short.

So I've finished my work and have got nothing to do now except breathe and blog.

I want to rant about human behaviour at my current place of employment and I want to say that most of it sucks. To.The.Core.

1. The Project Manager

The PM is someone new they got from goodness-knows-where, and I super don't like him. He yawns all the time. Very rude. I can't stand his laughter. Very pontianak-ish. I hated it whenever he came down to the project room where I used to be seated because he likes to sit beside me during teleconferences and peek at my notebook's screen to see what I'm doing. I guess the web pages I'm surfing or blogs I'm reading interest him more than his teleconference, which is of much higher importance to him. Very kay-poh. URGH!

2. Ladies and Gentlemen Men

The ladies working here are not very friendly, except a few with whom I work with for this project. Most of the time, I feel, they're just faking a friendly front to display in office during work. Once the office is dismissed for the day, you seldom see people talking and laughing with one another anymore. Wassup with all this pretence?

The men here, as I go higher up the building, seem to get less gentlemanly. On the first floor where the warehouse is located, I sometimes get guys opening the door for me, like, "Hey let me open the door for you." On the second floor where the project room I used to be seated in is located, I sometimes meet guys who hold the glass door open for me when they see me walking towards it. I will always thank the person holding the door for me, but when I hold the door for other ladies, they seem to take it for granted.

HEY!! I'M NO DOOR GIRL OKAY!

I mean, I'm not obligated to hold the door open for you so you jolly well acknowledge the fact that someone as nice as me held the door for your convenience and you should at least smile or give an acknowledging nod of the head right?

When I was at the third floor, no one holds the door open for anyone. What the hell?!?!! It's the same at the fourth floor where I'm seated now. What's wrong with all these people? Does that little bit of courtesy really take so much effort? It'd probably take only 1 or 2 seconds more of your time to hold the glass door open for a fellow colleague, what's so difficult about doing that? Sheesh. My time at VDG was a million times more enjoyable than now because everyone looked out for everyone.

3. Manager working with the PM

Fwah. This lady has a loud voice, laughter that sounds more like cackling, and is a generous person (always buying us Spinelli drinks) but doesn't know how to take care of the temp girls in the office. i.e. myself and another lady. Last week, we had to relocate from the project room because someone else had booked the room. She did not even bother to look for a place to seat us properly and we had to do it ourselves and to think we're supposed to help her in the verification of reports and whatnots. What rubbish.

Pui.

Anyway I was at Simei MRT Station during the lunch hour waiting for the bus that will take us back to the office. I was happily eating my french fries which I bought for lunch when suddenly this guy came up to me holding a file and nothing else. He reassured me that he's not selling insurance, and promptly opened up a file showing me an authorization letter from some charity organization and turned to the next page displaying a two page article photocopied from The Newpaper featuring this little girl who lost her right eye to cancer and who is now waiting for enough funds for her final operation in Singapore. He further reassured me that he wasn't asking me to donate my right eye or any other part of my body to her. Hur hur. Like, damn funny, I could hear my toes laughing from a mile away. His joke was as funny as my last statement about my toes.

He was asking for donations. I was almost convinced to donate, but when he continued to say that they're trying to raise the funds by selling something that looks like a flashlight to me, I declined.

I was tempted to donate because, after all, the patient was just a little girl; and her father earns only $15 a day. Now, come to think of it, what job pays $15 a day? Assuming he works a five-day week, that will be 20 days in a month, approximately. That comes up to just $300. Really, what job pays only $300 a month? Maid? Hmmm.

I decided not to donate not because I thought it was a scam, but just as I had mentioned in one of my previous posts about the NKF Charity Show, if I donate money, I want to make sure the money goes to the intended recipient, and not to a third (or fourth, fifth, sixth) party. I've been in direct sales, and I know there are some direct sales companies who claim to be helping some charity organization to raise funds but in actual fact, at least 30% to 40% of the sales proceeds go into their pockets and distributors.

Kang2 has sold charity tickets with a direct sales company before, and he gets to keep 25% of the sales. I was told they always do their sales at MRT stations and will usually station themselves there the whole day. This is really meaningless. Firstly, the so-called "charity work" is not done on a voluntary basis. Secondly, not all sales proceeds goes to the intended recipient, as in this case, the little girl who lost her right eye to cancer. Don't these people feel pinched by their conscience at all? They convince people to buy their merchandise in the name of charity yet it is not at all true.

Sigh.

What is the direct sales line coming to? Making use of most human being's philanthropic nature to earn money in the name of charity? Rubbish. This is so disappointing. The NKF works in the same way, I guess, only in a larger scale and with more patients. Charity proceeds go to prizes and vouchers for donors. Pui. I wonder how people can still trust NKF to give donors' money to the deserving patients instead of those I-definitely-have-the-extra-cash-that's-why-I'm-donating and those I-hope-I-can-win-the-$10,000-MasterCard-prize-after-I-donate-to-NKF people. YUCK * 1,000,000 times. PUI PUI PUI!!

I have an interview with Starhub at Cuppage Road tomorrow morning at 9am. I hope I get selected for the job because if I am, I will have an extra $300 to spend. Muahahhaa!! Referral bonus for my sis' manager to be shared with me. Yum yum!

And dar will be on guard duty tomorrow, for the first time in his life, after completing 23 months of National Service. Very ho miah, hor!

No comments:

Post a Comment